The Department of Geotechnical Engineering and Geosciences is a basic unit of the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC) in charge of the coordination of the teaching, researching and technology transfer tasks related to Geotechnics and Geomechanics, Geological Engineering, Geology, Geohydrology, Cartography, Topography, Geophysics and Seismic Engineering, and other related areas.
The department consists of 60 professors and research staff, 20 administrative and technical staff and 100 Ph.D. and master students.
They are divided into 6 research groups:
- Soil and rock mechanics
- Geophysics and earthquake engineering
- Mechanics and nanotechnology of engineering materials
- Hydrology Group
- Group of applied research on hydrometeorology
- Geomatics engineering
- Research Group on Geological Engineering (EnGeoModels)
The department teaches the following undergraduate studies:
- Degree in Civil Engineering
- Degree in Geological Engineering
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Topography
As for Graduate Studies, the department has two Ph.D. programs, which have the Quality Mention from the Spanish Ministry of Education and Sciences, and a Master's Degree within the European Higher Education Area: